lørdag 26. mars 2011

Breathing through a straw

When I was 11, I lost the ability to constantly breathe normally.



Sometimes, it was so hard to breathe, that it felt like I was breathing through a straw, and that my lungs simply didn't exist anymore - it was just a black hole there instead, absorbing my faint tries to get oxygen into my body, making me look funny for even trying.



No one knew why this happened to me.
Some of my friends simply laughed at me for breathing so hard after climbing up a hill "Man, you're out of shape!" they would say.



My cat could see that something was wrong when I tried to breathe normally, so she would accompany me by lying in a ball on my bed, purring loudly, as to say "It's all gonna be okey"



After I got into such a state of hysterical breathing, that I smiled like an idiot to my family, because my brain simply didn't have enough oxygen to work normally, my parents took me to the doctor.



It turned out, I had allergies.
Allergies for fur, and for grass.
And I got a bad asthma as a reaction.

No!
My cat!
She had so kindly been purring "It will all be okay" to me the other day,
but what would happend to her now?

I wasn't happy about it, but I understood the importance of getting a fur-free home.
We were lucky though, we found a new home for our cat.

I hated myself for being the reason we had to give our cat away.
It was my fault, and I felt sorry for my cat, and I felt sorry for myself.

I got some asthma and allergy medicines, which I had to use often in the start.
I even had to bring the medicine to school.

When the other kids learned why I had been breathing so weirdly, and when they saw my fancy spray-in-mouth medicine, they got this weird look of awe in their faces. (which, is pretty weird, now that I think back about it).



"HAH!" I was thinking.
I wasn't out of shape after all. I just couldn't breathe normally while climbing that hill because off all the grass and the threes there!
My friends was now suffering the consequences of being WRONG.
And just like that, I felt better again.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar